Pearl Harbor Day 2021 Contest
This year is the 80th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, an event which pulled the United States of America into World War II. It is also the anniversary of the death of Kenosha native, Paul E. Herrick who was aboard the USS Arizona during the attack. You can find out more about PFC Herrick under the “History” menu link above
The American Legion, Post 21, Kenosha Wisconsin, will be remembering the loss of Paul Herrick, and all the people who died that day by hosting a essay contest for middle school and high school students residing in the American Legion, Department of Wisconsin, First District.
The essay question is:
“Why is it important for America to remember events like Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) and the sacrifice of citizens like Paul Herrick?
- The Essay should be 500 words to be submitted in a Microsoft Word document electronically by October 31, 2021.
- Entries must come from current Middle and High School students residing in the following Wisconsin Counties: Kenosha, Racine, Walworth, Rock, and Waukesha Counties.
- This contest is about Americanism, do not use it for a Political or Religious diatribe. Judges will be asked to exclude entries that have slanderous, racist, or traitorous overtones.
- Winning entries will be posted publicly, unprofessional language will not be accepted.
Winners will be chosen by a panel of 5 judges. All entries will be stripped of personal information before being submitted to the panel of judges. Winners will be announced on ______________.
Winning entries will be displayed in various public places (to be determined). Prizes will be awarded during the our Pearl Harbor Day Ceremony which will start at 5:00 PM on December 7th , 2021. We are hoping to have the Mayor present the awards.
- First place: $500.00 and the American Legion Medal.
- Second place: $300.00
- Third place: $200.00
THIS DOCUMENT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE; HOWEVER, THE ESSAY QUESTION ITSELF AND THE DUE DATE IS FINALIZED.