Pearl Harbor Day 2021 Contest
Submissions will be accepted between now and midnight on October 31, 2021.
Submit your Essay in MS Word to: email@example.com
This year is the 80th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, an event which pulled the United States of America into World War II. It is also the anniversary of the death of Kenosha native, Paul E. Herrick who was aboard the USS Arizona during the attack. You can find out more about PFC Herrick under the “History” menu link above
The American Legion, Post 21, Kenosha Wisconsin, will be remembering the loss of Paul Herrick, and all the people who died that day by hosting a essay contest for middle school and high school students residing in the American Legion, Department of Wisconsin, First District.
The essay question is:
“Why is it important for America to remember events like Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) and the sacrifice of citizens like Paul Herrick?
For information about Paul Herrick, please visit: https://alpost21.com/paul-herrick/
Note: If you information/history about Paul Herrick that is not on that page, we sure would like to see it!
- The Essay should be 500 words to be submitted in a Microsoft Word document electronically by midnight October 31, 2021.
- Entries must come from current Middle and High School students residing in the following Wisconsin Counties: Kenosha, Racine, Walworth, Rock, and Waukesha Counties.
- This contest is about Americanism, do not use it for a Political or Religious diatribe. Judges will be asked to exclude entries that have slanderous, racist, or traitorous overtones.
- Winning entries will be posted publicly, unprofessional language will not be accepted.
Winners will be chosen by a panel of 3 judges. All entries will be stripped of personal information before being submitted to the panel of judges. The three finalists will be announced on Sunday December 5th around 2pm. An award presentation ceremony/announcement of winners will take place on the evening of December 7th at 7:00.
Winning entries will be displayed in various public places (to be determined). Prizes will be awarded during the our Pearl Harbor Day Ceremony which will start at 5:00 PM on December 7th , 2021. We are hoping to have the Mayor present the awards.
- First place: $500.00 and the American Legion Medal.
- Second place: $300.00
- Third place: $200.00
Please visit our front page for details and itinerary of our Pearl Harbor / Paul Herrick events
THIS DOCUMENT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE; HOWEVER, THE ESSAY QUESTION ITSELF AND THE DUE DATE ARE FINALIZED.